ABC 22 News Team
- Alexandra Lewis
- Amber Watson
- Christian Hauser
- Elyse Coulter
- Hilary Zalla
- Kelly May
- Kristine Frazao
- Natasha Williams
- Nicole Grigg
- Rhonda Moore
- Ann Reynolds
Low: 30 Winds: WSW 10-20 mph G35 mph
Tomorrow: Mostly Cloudy to Start - Sun & Clouds through the Afternoon, Chilly.
High: 37 Winds: W 8-12 mph
Wednesday: More Sunshine ...
More Than 40 Aircraft on Static Display at 39th Annual Air Show
DAYTON -- The Vectren Dayton Air Show takes to the skies this weekend, June 22-23, and along with more than 15 flying attractions, there will be more than 40 aircraft on static display, some that played a historic role in our nation's history.
Here's a glimpse of what spectators will see at the air show this year:
• Douglas C-54E, “Spirit of Freedom” heavy transport. An impressive flying museum to preserve the memory and pay tribute to the Berlin Airlift of 1948-1949. The C-54 cargo aircraft was instrumental in providing food for the people of Berlin when all ground and water supply routes were cut-off by the Soviets. Take a stroll through history in this legendary aircraft that helped deliver 3,500 tons of food and supplies every day to keep more than 2 million people and the forces of Berlin alive. This will be the Spirit of Freedom's first appearance at the Vectren Dayton Air Show.
• Consolidated PBY Catalina "Flying Boat." One of our armed forces most unique aircraft ever seen, the Catalina’s multi-role capability, outstanding range and endurance made it a popular aircraft during WWII. The PBY played a key role in the destruction of the German battleship Bismarck and the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Midway. The Catalina also rescued the sole survivor of famed Torpedo Squadron Eight's, Ensign George Gay.
• American Airlines DC-3 “Flagship Detroit.” Welcome aboard the airliner that transformed air travel in the United States, the Douglas DC-3. Manufactured in 1937, the Flagship Detroit was the 21st of 84 DC-3’s delivered to American Airlines and operated between 1936 and 1947. She was restored as a flying tribute to employees and is flown by retired American Airlines’ pilots, who will appear in period-uniforms. The Flagship Detroit has the honor of being the oldest flying DC-3 in the world today.
• Fairchild C-123 Provider "Thunder Pig." A work horse in the Vietnam War, the newer C-123's like the one that will be in Dayton featured auxiliary jet pods underneath the wings, and anti-skid brakes to resupply troops landing on short dirt runways carved out of the jungles of Vietnam. The C-123 had some notable missions such as the spraying of Agent Orange and serving as a VIP transport, including General William Westmoreland's C-123 “White Whale.”
• Douglas AD-1 Skyraider. A single-seat attack aircraft that saw military service from the late 1940’s until the early 1980’s, the Skyraider had a remarkably long career despite being a piston-powered, propeller-driven airplane during the jet age.
• FedEx Boeing 757-200. Spectators will enjoy going on board and touring the massive FedEx cargo jet including a look in the cockpit. Weighing in at 255,000 pounds and traveling at Mach 0.80 (530 MPH), the 757 is the backbone of the FedEx fleet. As a special treat the FedEx NASCAR will also be on display.
• Stearman Speedmail. Representing the Golden Age of Aviation, the Stearman Speedmail is currently the oldest surviving Model 4, which was originally delivered to Richfield Oil Company on October 28, 1929 and heavily used to promote popular radio program, the “Air Adventures of Jimmie Allen”.
• Wright B Flyer. Where it all began, Dayton’s own “Brown Bird” will be on static display and flying each day in the show.
• B-25, “Champaign Gal.” The Champaign Aviation Museum of Ohio’s WWII medium bomber pays tribute to the bomber that first gained its fame during the Doolittle Raid in Japan in 1942.
• O-2 Skymaster. A Vietnam-era forward observation aircraft, the O-2, also known as “Oscar Deuce” is a twin-engine, high-wing aircraft was also used in psychological operations.
"We’re thrilled to bring living history to show with aircraft like the C-54," stated Michael Emoff, United States Air and Trade Show Board of Trustees Chairman. "This is a must see show and is sure to entertain spectators of all ages," he added.
The 2013 Vectren Dayton Air Show Presented by Kroger takes off this weekend at the Dayton International Airport. Gates open at 9 a.m. each day with flying starting at noon. Gates close at 6 p.m. each day. In total, there will be 15 feature attractions in the air. Flying acts range from dare-devil wing walker, Jane Wicker to the only flying B-29 Superfortress in the world, "FIFI", to a first ever demonstration of the MiG-17 and the Tuskegee Airmen P-51 “By Request.” Spectators will also enjoy the AeroShell Formation Aerobatic Team and the "Great Wall of Fire" just to name a couple more. Visit the show website at www.daytonairshow.com for a complete lineup and ticket information.
The Ferguson Decision
Miami Valley Crime StoppersIf you have information about a crime that has occurred, call Miami Valley Crime Stoppers at 937-222-7867 (STOP) 800-637-5735, 24 hours a day. Callers can remain anonymous.
Border CrisisGet the latest developments on the border control issue!
Chefs CornerWe often invite local chefs into our studio kitchen to demonstrate their cooking techniques and recipes. Watch those video segments on this page.
Pay It ForwardRiver Valley Credit Union, FOX45, and ABC22 recognize the good deeds of people and organizations who make the Miami Valley a better place.
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Secrets Of A ThiefWe expose the "Secrets Of A Thief". Sponsored by Shiver Security.
Cool SchoolsOur children are the way of the future and it all starts with our schools. Join us as our Hilary Zalla goes inside schools around the Miami Valley to find out what cool things students and teachers are ...
Town HallJoin in as our expert panel discusses jobs in Ohio
No Text ZoneTexting While Driving Kills Thousands of People Each Year. Many More are Seriously Injured. You Can Help Make Our Roads a NO TEXT ZONE.
Washington TimesPolitics, Breaking News, US and World News.
On Time TrafficGet the latest traffic information and updates here!
School ClosingsGet the list of all closings and delays for schools and businesses within the area, and sign up for text alerts!
Save Local TVFind out how you can save local TV right here!
Raw NewsWatch raw, unedited and uncensored news stories right here!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices, check out local and national price trends, report low prices and get fuel saving tips!
Political PulseArmstrong Williams is a pugnacious, provocative and principled voice for conservatives and Christian values in America's public debates.
News LinksThese links were chosen by the newsroom for their newsworthy content. These sites enhance the news stories that aired on the newscast on the dates cited.
Menard's Around the HouseMenards Around the House how-to videos give you tips for those much needed home improvements!
On the MoveGet the latest news and more on your mobile phone!
Good MorningIt's Fun, it's fresh, the way mornings should be!
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from across Ohio in our Top Stories section!
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
ECB official calls for gov't action to help growth
FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- A member of the European Central Bank's rate-setting council has said monetary policy cannot boost long-term growth and called instead for reforms by governments to make the weak economy more investment-friendly.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
BILL COSBY - FLORIDA CONCERT
MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) -- For a night, anyway, things were normal for Bill Cosby and those who remain fans of the embattled comedian.
MINOT, N.D. (AP) -- Scores of seniors are joining the Air Force -- for Thanksgiving.
IN THE NEWS: AEREO GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
NEW YORK (AP) -- An online startup that tried to provide a cheaper alternative to cable TV is going "off the air."
Tonight on ABC 22
6:30 pm ..... ABC World News
7:00 pm ..... Family Feud
7:30 pm ..... Family Feud
8:00 pm ..... Last Man Standing
8:30 pm ..... Cristela
9:00 pm ..... Shark Tank
10:00 pm ... 20/20
11:00 pm ... ABC 22 News at Eleven
11:15 pm ... Football Friday - Playoff Edition
11:30 pm ... Jimmy Kimmel Live
12:30 am ... Nightline