50 residents forced to leave Dayton apartment after high carbon monoxide levels
DAYTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - Fifty residents had to be evacuated from a Dayton apartment building Friday city officials say, after "substantial building code violations" were found.
According to the City of Dayton, emergency crews were called on January 4 to Newcom Manor on N. Main Street. While they were at the complex, firefighters became aware of high levels of carbon monoxide. Investigators say it was determined that an boiler wasn't functioning correctly, and there were other deficiencies in the complex. The owner was told to fix the problems within seven days.
On Thursday, January 11, the building was found to not be compliant with the repair and Dayton City officials have given a "vacate order." People who live at the apartment complex can have access to their homes until Tuesday, January 16. An inspector with the state will have to certify the boiler once it's repaired before the order can be lifted. The City of Dayton and Montgomery County Emergency Management have been working with residents to help them find a place to stay. "If we find conditions that are hazardous and that put lives at risk, the only recourse we have is to vacate the building - for the residents' safety," said Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein.
Affected residents can call 211 HelpLink at 937-913-2000 for more information.