ABC 22 News Team
- Alexandra Lewis
- Amber Watson
- Christian Hauser
- Elyse Coulter
- Hilary Zalla
- Kelly May
- Kristine Frazao
- Nicole Grigg
- Rhonda Moore
- Ann Reynolds
Low: 53 Winds: NW 3-5 mph
Tomorrow: Cloudier & Cooler with the Chance for Spotty Early P.M. Showers.
High: 71 Winds: NNW 4-8 mph
Wednesday: Warmer with More Sunshine.
Beware of Traveling Contractor Scams Following Storms
COLUMBUS -- Following the recent storms, Attorney General Mike DeWine is warning Ohioans to watch for traveling contractors who may try to take advantage of homeowners in need of assistance.
"After severe weather hits, it's important to be vigilant about home improvement scams," DeWine said. "Some contractors track storms so that they can travel to affected communities to offer their services to homeowners who experience damage. Unfortunately many of these 'storm-chasers' do not follow Ohio laws and do nothing to help consumers."
Consumers who experienced damage, such as fallen trees or wind-damaged buildings, should take the following steps to protect themselves:
• Research a home improvement contractor before signing any contract. Obtain the name, address, and phone number of any contractor agreeing to do work for you. Ask for identification from the company's representative. Request and contact references. Check for consumer complaints with the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau before allowing a contractor to begin the work.
• Be cautious. Do not accept services from a contractor who refuses to provide proper identification, does not have a permanent place of business, cannot provide references, or insists on a large upfront payment, such as half or more of the total cost.
• Get written estimates from at least three different contractors. Refuse to do business with a company that does not provide a written estimate.
• Keep in mind that you generally have three business days to cancel door-to-door sales. A business must notify you of this right and cannot begin services until after the three-day period has ended.
• Don't sign over your insurance check to a contractor. If you are financing the transaction, arrange for a certificate of completion with your bank. The bank will pay the contractor for each completed stage of the job only after you give your permission.
• Get a sworn statement. Insist that the contractor provide you with a sworn statement that all materials have been paid for and all subcontractors have been paid. This will help protect you from liens that may be placed on your property if the contractor fails to pay all suppliers and subcontractors.
Consumers who have questions about a contractor or those who believe they have been treated unfairly should contact the Ohio Attorney General's Office at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov or 800-282-0515.
Know Your CandidatesLearn about the candidates running for office near you!
Border CrisisGet the latest developments on the border control issue!
Chefs CornerWe often invite local chefs into our studio kitchen to demonstrate their cooking techniques and recipes. Watch those video segments on this page.
Pay It ForwardRiver Valley Credit Union, FOX45, and ABC22 recognize the good deeds of people and organizations who make the Miami Valley a better place.
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Secrets Of A ThiefWe expose the "Secrets Of A Thief". Sponsored by Shiver Security.
Cool SchoolsOur children are the way of the future and it all starts with our schools. Join us as our Hilary Zalla goes inside schools around the Miami Valley to find out what cool things students and teachers are ...
Town HallJoin in as our expert panel discusses jobs in Ohio
No Text ZoneTexting While Driving Kills Thousands of People Each Year. Many More are Seriously Injured. You Can Help Make Our Roads a NO TEXT ZONE.
Washington TimesPolitics, Breaking News, US and World News.
On Time TrafficGet the latest traffic information and updates here!
School ClosingsGet the list of all closings and delays for schools and businesses within the area, and sign up for text alerts!
Save Local TVFind out how you can save local TV right here!
Raw NewsWatch raw, unedited and uncensored news stories right here!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices, check out local and national price trends, report low prices and get fuel saving tips!
Political PulseArmstrong Williams is a pugnacious, provocative and principled voice for conservatives and Christian values in America's public debates.
News LinksThese links were chosen by the newsroom for their newsworthy content. These sites enhance the news stories that aired on the newscast on the dates cited.
Menard's Around the HouseMenards Around the House how-to videos give you tips for those much needed home improvements!
On the MoveGet the latest news and more on your mobile phone!
Good MorningIt's Fun, it's fresh, the way mornings should be!
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from across Ohio in our Top Stories section!
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
FAA chief orders review Chicago air traffic snarl
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The head of the Federal Aviation Administration says he's ordered a review of the agency's security protocols and how it deals with unexpected incidents.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
VENICE, Italy (AP) -- He's been one of the world's most eligible bachelors -- and had vowed for decades that he wouldn't take the plunge again.
POT BUST-YOUTUBE TIP
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- It's the high-tech equivalent of dropping a dime.
IN THE NEWS: EUROPE TO EASE RULES ON PORTABLE ELECTRONICS IN FLIGHT
BERLIN (AP) -- Imagine being on a flight -- without having to hear the dreaded announcement that you have to stow your portable electronics or refrain from making cell phone calls.
Tonight on ABC 22
6:30 pm ..... ABC World News
7:00 pm ..... Family Feud
7:30 pm ..... Family Feud
8:00 pm ..... Dancing with the Stars
10:00 pm ... Castle (Season Premiere)
11:00 pm ... ABC 22 News at Eleven
11:30 pm ... Jimmy Kimmel Live
12:30 am ... Nightline