UD women defeat Duquesne, claim top spot in A-10
DAYTON, OHIO – The University of Dayton women’s basketball remained undefeated in Atlantic 10 play with a 79-70 victory over Duquesne University. The Flyers were led by Javonna Layfield and Jenna Burdette, each contributing 18 points in the contest.
The Flyers (17-4, 10-0 A-10) come out on top yet again in Atlantic 10 play while handing the Dukes (18-4, 8-1 A-10) their first loss in conference play.
· 4th quarter - Jenna Burdette ended Dayton’s scoring drought with 4:27 left in the final quarter, extending the Flyers’ lead back to 10.
1ST Quarter: Dayton 20, Duquesne 9
· Dayton opened up the game on an 8-0 run.
· Duquesne didn’t get on the scoreboard until 7:25 left in the quarter.
· At the first media timeout, the Flyers lead the Dukes 12-7.
· Duquesne faced a scoring drought that lasted for 3:54 minutes.
· With one second left on the clock, redshirt senior Alex Harris scored a layup to extend the Flyers lead, 20-9.
2nd Quarter: Dayton 41, Duquesne 27
· Duquesne put up two points to start out the second quarter.
· Senior JaVonna Layfield opened up the Flyers second quarter scoring with a three-point field goal.
· Dayton went on a 7-0 run over 1:46 minutes after a Jenna Burdette three-point basket.
· The Flyers strong defensive effort forced the Dukes to have four turnovers over 5:04 minutes.
· Duquesne responded with five straight points to cut Dayton’s lead to 14 for a score of 33-19.
· Two made free throws by Jordan Wilmoth maintained Dayton’s lead of 14 to enter halftime leading 41-27.
· Layfield led all Flyers at the half with 14 points and 10 rebounds.
· The Flyers outrebounded the Dukes 23-14 while forcing eight turnovers.
3rd Quarter: Dayton 62, Duquesne 48
· The Dukes put a three-pointer on the board, but Harris responded with a jumper early in the quarter.
· Duquesne closed in on Dayton’s lead with a score of 48-39 with six minutes left in the quarter.
· At the quarter’s media break, the Flyers led the Dukes with a score of 52-41.
· After going back forth, Duquesne lessened Dayton’s winning margin with a score of 56-46.
· Harris reached doubt figures in points with 13.6 seconds left in the third quarter and extended the Flyers lead to 62-48.
4th Quarter: Dayton 79, Duquesne 70
· Duquesne started the quarter with a 7-0 run over 4:01 minutes, holding Dayton scoreless for 4:35.
· The Dukes closed the scoring gap to single digits at the media timeout, 64-56.
· Jenna Burdette ended Dayton’s scoring drought with 4:27 left in the final quarter, extending the Flyers’ lead back to 10.
· Harris had a monstrous block down-low to deny a Duquesne scoring opportunity.
· Duquesne called a timeout with 1:54 left to try and slow the game down as Dayton led by 10, 71-61.
· The Dukes went on a 7-0 run over 1:12 to cut Dayton’s lead to six, 71-65.
· Duquesne called a timeout with 24.0 seconds left, but Dayton still kept the lead, 75-68.
· With under a minute to play, Dayton maintained their composure going 8-8 from the free throw line.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· 40-32 – Dayton controlled the boards over Duquesne 40-32, bouncing back from being outrebounded in the previous game.
· 4 – Four of Dayton’s players reached double digits in points during the contest.
· 18 – Jenna Burdette and JaVonna Layfield finished the game with 18 points.
· 44% - Both teams shot 44% overall, but Dayton still took the win against Duquesne.
· 18-17 – JaVonna Layfield got her 11th double-double of the season with 18 points and 17 rebounds.
· 22-25 – The Flyers shot 25 free throws while Duquesne only shot 14 from the line.
88% - The Flyers shot 88% from the free throw line while the Dukes only shot 57%; helping Dayton secure the victory over Duquesne.
· The Flyers will play at UD Arena against VCU on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m.