ABC 22 News Team
- Amber Watson
- Christian Hauser
- Elyse Coulter
- Jason Puhr
- Kelly May
- Kristine Frazao
- Natalie Clark
- Natasha Williams
- Nicole Grigg
- Rhonda Moore
- Ann Reynolds
Meyer New Ohio State Coach
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- If Ohio State did not come calling, Urban Meyer says he was planning to stay away from coaching for at least another year.
Meyer, the former Florida coach and native Buckeye, was officially hired Monday by Ohio State, a program with a glittering past that has suffered through a difficult year of NCAA violations.
"If not for the coaching position at Ohio State, I would not have coached this year,' he said.
Meyer resigned as Gators coach after last season, citing health concerns and a desire to spend more time with his family.
"A year ago in my mind I was convinced I was done coaching," he said.
He added that he is feeling great.
"I've been checked out and I'm ready to go," he said.
Meyer will become one of the highest paid coaches in college football, along with Alabama's Nick Saban and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, and Texas' Mack Brown. The school says he will receive a six-year contract that pays $4 million annually, plus another $2.4 million total in "retention payments."
Interim coach Luke Fickell, who took over when Jim Tressel was forced out for breaking NCAA rules, will coach the Buckeyes (6-6) in their bowl game and be retained by Meyer as an assistant.
Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith said his first conversation with Meyer about becoming coach was on Nov. 20 by phone. Smith said the two met face-to-face Nov. 23.
Meyer won two national championships in six years as the coach at Florida. Now, the 47-year-old will return to the place where his college coaching career began in 1986 after spending a year as an ESPN game analyst.
Earle Bruce, the head coach at Ohio State when Meyer was a graduate assistant, has remained a close friend and confidant of Meyer through the years. He said he had no concerns about Meyer's health issues.
"Well, if he'd had a heart attack and his heart was bad, I'd be worried about that," the 80-year-old Bruce said on Monday. "I'm not worried that he was stressed out over the game of football because he was thinking too much and not doing some things (exercising) that would have kept him straight. I think he got everything back under control by sitting out a year. I think he missed football. And he's good at it."
A team meeting set for Sunday night was moved to Monday afternoon before the news conference to allow Meyer to meet his players.
Alabama coach Nick Saban, who played at Kent State and coached at Toledo in the Buckeye state, said he was happy for Meyer.
"I'm sure he's excited about it, and I'm excited for him that he has an opportunity to go back to his home state and be the head coach here," Saban said. "I think it's a wonderful opportunity and I think he'll do a great job."
Meyer takes over a program that is likely facing NCAA sanctions and was crippled by the forced resignation of Tressel. The Buckeyes completed their only season under Fickell with a 40-34 loss to Michigan on Saturday that snapped a seven-game winning streak to their rivals.
Wolverines coach Brady Hoke underplayed the role of the head coaches in the rivalry.
"I've known Urban, he's a good football coach, a good guy and I welcome him in," Hoke said on Monday. "But it's still Michigan and Ohio and neither one of us is going to play the game."
In 10 seasons as a head coach - two at Bowling Green, two at Utah and six at Florida - Meyer has a 104-23 record. His teams are 7-1 in bowl games, including the Gators' 41-14 victory over unbeaten and top-ranked Ohio State in the 2007 Bowl Championship Series title game.
Meyer had persistently denied all the talk surrounding him and Ohio State. Soon after Tressel stepped down, Meyer said he wasn't interested in leaving ESPN, where he was a college football analyst.
The chance to coach Ohio State changed his mind, he said.
"He enjoyed what he was doing, but I think he also had the bug to start coaching again," ESPN broadcast partner and former Ohio State linebacker Chris Spielman said. "We just kind of talked about the pros and cons of both throughout the year. He weighed all the options and there were jobs out there that definitely captured his interest and certainly Ohio State was one of them. He decided that it was the best move. This was just an opportunity that he couldn't pass up."
Meyer inherits a program still facing NCAA sanctions. But he also inherits a young team led by a freshman quarterback, Braxton Miller, who would seem to be a perfect fit for his spread offense.
A native of Ashtabula, Ohio, Meyer becomes the 24th head coach at Ohio State. He succeeds Fickell, who took over last spring when Tressel's 10-year reign came crashing down. Tressel was forced out for knowing but not telling his superiors that Buckeyes players had most likely broken NCAA rules by taking cash and free or discounted tattoos from the subject of a federal drug-trafficking investigation.
Missing several top players because of NCAA suspensions stemming from the tattoo mess, the Buckeyes were hit with more suspensions when three players accepted $200 in cash for attending a charity event and others were forced to sit out or had their existing suspensions extended for being overpaid for summer jobs.
Ohio State's .500 record marked the most losses at Ohio State since John Cooper's 1999 team also went 6-6 overall and 3-5 in the Big Ten.
The Buckeyes had already lost their string of six Big Ten titles when the school was forced to vacate the 2010 season for the NCAA violations. The school has also self-imposed two years of NCAA probation, offered to return $339,000 in bowl revenue from 2010 and to give up five scholarships over the next three seasons.
Ohio State is awaiting final word from the NCAA's committee on infractions. The committee tagged Ohio State with a "failure to monitor" label - second only to a lack of institutional control on the list of most egregious charges against a university. The school could still be hit with a bowl ban, a loss of more scholarships, or other penalties.
Meyer, who spent two years playing minor-league baseball as a shortstop in the Atlanta Braves system, also served as an assistant at Illinois State, Colorado State and Notre Dame.
At the urging of Bruce, he took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green (2001-2002) where he led the Falcons to records of 8-3 and 9-3 before jumping to Utah. Using a spread offense featuring quarterback Alex Smith, the Utes went 10-2 in his first year. In 2004, he led Utah to an 11-0 season and a Bowl Championship Series berth - making the Utes the first team to ever qualify for a BCS bowl from a conference (the Mountain West) that was not an automatic qualifier. After a bowl win over Pittsburgh to cap the 12-0 season, he was the top candidate for the jobs at both Notre Dame and Florida. He surprised many by becoming a Gator.
In his second season with the Gators, No. 2-ranked Florida beat unbeaten Ohio State, coached by Tressel, 41-14 to win his first national title.
Two years later, the Gators won another national title, beating Oklahoma 24-14 behind Tim Tebow.
The next year Florida contended for a repeat, but after losing the SEC title game to Alabama, Meyer said he was retiring from coaching, citing health problems. He changed his mind and was back the next day, saying he would only take a leave of absence.
After the 2010 season, he stepped down again.
Leave comments for this story on our Facebook page
Raw News Stories
- AUDIO: UD Lightning Strike 911 Call
- Kasich Gives State of the State Address in Wilmington
- Dayton Mayor Gives State of the City Address
- Town Hall: Race Relations in America
- ODOT Video of Cincinnati Bridge Collapse
- Raul Castro Says Cuba Willing to Dialogue with US
- Marco Rubio Reacts to Obama Administration Decision on Cuba Relations
- RAW: Jeffrey Fowle Returns Home
- RAW: Parents Say They Caught Nanny Assaulting Twins
- RAW: Beavercreek Shooting Radio Traffic, Officer Statements
- RAW: Crawford Family, Attorney News Conference
- RAW: Video from inside Walmart of 911 caller Ronald Ritchie
- RAW: Walmart Video Shows Shooting Synced with 911 Call
- Ohio Student Association Reacts to Grand Jury Decision
- Special Prosecutor: Grand Jury Declines to Indict Beavercreek Police Officers in Fatal Shooting
- Press Conference on Grand Jury Decision in Klonda Richey Dog Mauling Death
- Dash Cam Video and Dispatch Audio Released from Shooting Inside Beavercreek Walmart - Part 1
- Dash Cam Video and Dispatch Audio Released From Shooting Inside Beavercreek Walmart - Part 2
- SLIDE SHOW: Rats Removed from Kettering Apartment
- Town Hall Meeting: Same-Sex Marriage Part 1
- Town Hall Meeting: Same-Sex Marriage Part II
- Town Hall Meeting: Same-Sex Marriage Part III
- Suspects Ram Cruiser, Lead Huber Heights Police on a Chase
- Fly Aboard a Wright-Patt Globemaster
- Van Smashes Into Gas Station; Man Steals ATM
- POW's Father Weighs in on Bergdahl
- Taps, America the Beautiful at Arlington National Cemetery
- DRONE VIDEO: Bethel Township Flooding Video
- Cedarville Funnel Cloud Caught on Video
- Bulldogs Teach Black Bear Who's Boss
- DRONE VIDEO: Dayton House Explosion Aftermath
- Car Crashes into School Bus
- Vacant House Fire Under Investigation
- The Worst 9-1-1 Calls of 2013 in Montgomery County
- 911 Call: RTA Bus Driver Shot, Stabbed
- 911 Call: Woman Fatally Mauled Called Police Months Ago
- Super Bowl Commercial: Toyota "Joyride"
- Super Bowl Commercial: Oikos "Full House"
- Super Bowl Commercial: Jaguar "British Villains"
- Super Bowl Commercial: Butterfinger "Cup Therapy"
- Super Bowl Commercial: Axe "Make Peace Not War"
- Kasich Announces Moraine Plant
- Viewer Submitted: Jan. 6 Snow Photos
- Viewer Submitted: Jan. 2 Snow Photos
- Viewer Video: Fatal Kettering House fire
- Traffic Camera Catches Suspected Road Rage Crash
- Burglary Suspect Jumps From Moving Police Cruiser
- Obama Addresses Nation on Syria
- President Obama Will Seek Approval From Congress for Military Action in Syria
- Fiery Crash on I-75 Claims Two Lives
- Miracle Man Thanks Medics For Saving Life
- Suspected Drunk Driver Dances for Cops
- WWII Veterans Talk About Ploesti Raid
- Castro Sentencing: Defendant Speaks
- Castro Sentencing: Judge Says Castro Can Only Die Once in Prison
- Castro Sentencing: Michelle Knight Comment
- Castro Sentencing: DeJesus Family Member
- Castro Sentencing: Letter Self-Identifies Castro as "Sexual Predator"
- EXCLUSIVE: Father of Stabbing Victim Speaks
- RAW INTERVIEW: Lawyer for Chantell Spears Speaks About Stabbing Investigation
- Juror From Zimmerman Trial Speaks to Anderson Cooper
- RAW Video: Air Show Plane Crash
- Ohio State President Gee Announces Retirement
- RAW INTERVIEW: Family Barely Escapes Fire
- Dayton Woman Upset About Vandalism
- Watch Chris Mulcahy Ride The Gatekeeper
- Mayor Gary Leitzell Speaks After Primary Results
- Assistant City Manager Interview
- Firefighters Rescue Dog From House Fire
- President Speaks on Boston Marathon Suspect Arrest
- Boston Press Conference
- Dash Cam Video of Fatal Crash
- Semi Driver Rescued After Truck Crashes off Overpass
- President Speaks on Boston Marathon Explosions
- GRAPHIC VIDEO: Boston Marathon Explosions
- Dad Says Machines are Keeping Toddler Alive, No Brain Activity
- Liza Danver Makes Cameo on Jimmy Kimmel
- Officers Draw Tasers on Man With Rock, Knife
- Full Interview with CEO & Owner of PECO
- Firefighter Hit on the Job Says He's Alive Because of God
- WARNING-GRAPHIC CONTENT: Fire Captain Thrown Into Guardrail During Crash
- T-shirt Contest
- Dash Cam Video Released of Officer Involved Shooting
- OSP Chase Ends in Fiery Crash
- AG Responds to Steubenville Rape Verdict
- Photo Gallery: UD St. Patrick's Day Disturbance
- Col. Barlow Tattoo/Furlough Press Conference
- East Third Street Homicide
- Plane Crash Scene in Miami Twp.
- Full Interview With Briona Rodgers Mother
- Full Statement From Prosecutor Mat Heck
- ALICE Active Shooter Training
- Neighbor Captures Xenia Fire on Video
- UD Student Helps Brother Regain Arm Movement with Engineering Project
- Dameon Wesley Apologizes to Mother of Slain Teen
- 2013 State of the State Speech, Transcript
- Surveillance Video Captures Man Stealing Lottery Tickets from Gas Station
- Dayton Police Release Video of Fatal Officer Involved Shooting
- Many Viewers Come Out as Trotwood Roads Close for Police Office Funeral Procession
- Cruiser Cam Released of Dayton Officer Hit
- Romney Speaks at Campaign Stop Turned Hurricane Relief Event
- President Obama Addresses Crowd of Nearly 10,000 in Dayton
- Obama Arrives at Dayton International Airport
- Brown, Mandel Square Off in Debate
- Mitt Romney Rallies in Lebanon
- Mitt Romney Campaigns in Sidney
- "The Daily Caller" Releases Obama Video On the Eve of First Debate
- Romney, Ryan Campaign Together at Dayton International Airport
- President Speaks in Columbus
- President Spoke to Thousands, Message Targeted Middle Class Workers
- Biden Addreses Middle Class, Starts With Somber Tone
- Vote 2012: One on One with Mitt Romney in Mansfield
- Hamsterballing on Fox 45 In the Morning
- Healthcare Town Hall Meeting
- Springfield Police Shot/Dispath Traffic
- Romney/Paul One-On-One
- Mitt Romney: One-on-One
- Ryan Speaks at Alma Mater, Miami University
- Massive Blaze Destroys Several East Dayton Apartments
- Country Star Weighs in on Chick-Fil-A Feud
- Exclusive: Head of ATF Warns Employees About Whistleblowing
- Portman Says He's Happy As Senator
- Local Woman Attends Ochocinco's Wedding
- Chris Heath at the Dayton Air Show
- June 29, 2012 Severe Weather: Freedom's Call Tattoo Cancelled
- June 29, 2012 Severe Weather: Dayton Mall
- June 29, 2012 Sever Weather: Downtown Dayton
- Mitt Romney Unedited Speech In Pennsylvania
- Judge Lets Man Have it
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Two Police Chases
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Men Surrender in SWAT Standoff
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Police Chase W/ Commentary
- Explosive Fire Video
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Three Escaped Juveniles Beat Up Guard
- Co-Founder of KORN Talks About Experiences
- Meyer New Ohio State Coach
- Witness Get Cell Phone Video of Escaped Bear / Several 9-1-1 Calls on Animals
- Full Animal Escape Press Conference; Hanna: 'Sheriff Did the Right Thing'
- Full Interviews with Harrison & Hanna on Exotic Animals
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Former Wrestler Wrestles Officer
- Judge Walter Rice Full Speech
- Shooting Suspect Speaks Out
- 14 YO Girls Lead Police on High Speed Chase
- President Obama Touts Jobs Bill at Columbus High School
- Obama Would Pay for Jobs Plan With Cuts, Tax Hikes; Local Republican Lawmakers React
- Affion Crocket Talks to DNS About New Show!
- Dashcam Video: Huber Heights Water Main Break
- Surveillance Video of Kylen English in Jail
- Watch the Full Air Show
- See the Full Police Presser on the Death of Kylen English Including Bridge Video
- Hear the 9-1-1 Call After Woman Stabs Boyfriend
- Watch Verdict as Casey Anthony is Acquitted of Murder
- Local Airwoman Talks to Dayton's News Source After Winning Award
- Woman Calls 9-1-1 After She's Robbed in Oregon District
- Woman's 9-1-1 Call Claiming Granddaughter was Abused
- Caught On Tape: Victim Grabs Gun, Shoots Alleged Robber
- Hear the 9-1-1 Call After a Woman Stabs Fiance
- Terrelle Pryor's Raw press conference clip
- Surveillance Video of Shell Gas Station Robbery
- 31 Run Inning
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Car Crash in Police Pursuit
- Endeavour Soars on 2nd-to-last Space Shuttle Trip
- Press Conference on the Death of a Warren County Deputy
- Dashcam Video and 9-1-1 Call on Man Who Beat Mother
- Watch House Veterans Affairs Committee Hearing on Dayton VAMC
- Memories of Pat Casey
- Kasich Comes to Dayton's News Source
- State of the State Speech
- Watch the Entire Presser from Bellefontaine Police After Littleton is Captured
- Watch the Entire Presser for the Missing Elderly Couple
- Watch the Full Police Presser for the Murdered Mom
- Flashmob for Heart Health
- Kasich Response on Ice Storm
- President Obama's State of the Union Address
- Mark Hyman Behind the Headlines
- Woman Talks After Falling into Fountain While Texting
- Full 9-1-1 Call with Dispatch Error
- Brady Hoke Introduced in Press Conference as University Of Michigan Head Football Coach
- Senator Sherrod Brown Full Interview
- Bengals Coach Marvin Lewis Press Conference on Returning as Coach
- Raw Video of Police Chase in Trotwood
- Suspended Buckeyes Apologize
- Surveillance Video of Officer Stopping Robbery
- Woman Helps Officer when Elderly Man Attacks
- Pursuit Ends in Crash and Footchase Dashcam
- Family of Fairborn Solider Killed in Afghanistan
- Erin Chase Discusses Airport Pat Downs on FOX 45 in the Morning
- Missing Family News Conference
- Lebron James "Rise" Commercial & Cleveland's Response
- Hal McCoy Remembers Sparky Anderson
- Notre Dame Athletic Director Takes Questions
- Raw Video of Vandalia House-Fire
- Mascot Fight at Football Game
- Toddler Caught on Tape Smoking Pot
- Alter Fest Flash Mob Dance
- Local Islamic Leader Talks About Ground Zero Mosque
- Police Chase Ends in Gunfire
- Family of Brennan Eden Speaks for the First Time Since Crash
- Chaos Ensues After Jefferson Twp. Shooting
- Hal McCoy Leaving Dayton Daily News
- Raw Video: Extreme Makeover Home Edition
City In Crisis
Miami Valley Crime StoppersIf you have information about a crime that has occurred, call Miami Valley Crime Stoppers at 937-222-7867 (STOP) 800-637-5735, 24 hours a day. Callers can remain anonymous.
Border CrisisGet the latest developments on the border control issue!
Chefs CornerWe often invite local chefs into our studio kitchen to demonstrate their cooking techniques and recipes. Watch those video segments on this page.
Pay It ForwardElk & Elk, FOX45, and ABC22 recognize the good deeds of people and organizations who make the Miami Valley a better place.
Health Care ReformThe Supreme Court ruling to uphold the Affordable Care Act sparked a new battle. Check here daily for the latest developments, locally and across the country.
Town HallJoin in as our expert panel discusses jobs in Ohio
No Text ZoneTexting While Driving Kills Thousands of People Each Year. Many More are Seriously Injured. You Can Help Make Our Roads a NO TEXT ZONE.
Washington TimesPolitics, Breaking News, US and World News.
On Time TrafficGet the latest traffic information and updates here!
School ClosingsGet the list of all closings and delays for schools and businesses within the area, and sign up for text alerts!
Save Local TVFind out how you can save local TV right here!
Raw NewsWatch raw, unedited and uncensored news stories right here!
Pump PatrolFind the lowest gas prices, check out local and national price trends, report low prices and get fuel saving tips!
Political PulseArmstrong Williams is a pugnacious, provocative and principled voice for conservatives and Christian values in America's public debates.
News LinksThese links were chosen by the newsroom for their newsworthy content. These sites enhance the news stories that aired on the newscast on the dates cited.
On the MoveGet the latest news and more on your mobile phone!
Good MorningIt's Fun, it's fresh, the way mornings should be!
Top StoriesGet up to the minute information from across Ohio in our Top Stories section!
Your Voice. Your Future.As the country faces challenges from federal budget issues to jobs and national debt, your voice is critical to the future.
Waste WatchHow are your tax dollars being spent? Waste Watch tracks whether local, state and federal governments or any groups are using your money wisely...or wasting it.
Applications for US jobless aid rise to still-low 281,000
WASHINGTON (AP) -- More people sought U.S. unemployment benefits last week, but the level of applications is still low and points to an improving job market.
WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 03/21/14 --
Companies that pride themselves on being eco-friendly may have conflicted
ideas between marketing with ad specialties and maintaining their green
JULY FOURTH BOX OFFICE
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It's magic versus Arnold at the nation's movie theaters this holiday weekend.
SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- Some Detroit-area cops are dealing with some real animals.
IN THE NEWS: PHILADELPHIA LEGALIZES AIRBNB-TYPE RENTALS BEFORE POPE VISIT
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Philadelphia has legalized and plans to tax Airbnb and other short-term rentals ahead of Pope Francis' visit in September and next year's Democratic National Convention.
Tonight on ABC 22
6:30 pm ..... ABC World News
7:00 pm ..... Family Feud
7:30 pm ..... Family Feud
8:00 pm ..... Shark Tank
9:00 pm ..... What Would You Do?
10:00 pm ... 20/20
11:00 pm ... ABC 22 News at Eleven
11:30 pm ... Jimmy Kimmel Live
12:30 am ... Nightline