MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firefighters issue warning after family says Christmas lights caught house on fire

Firefighters issue warning after family says Christmas lights caught house on fire. (Courtesy: Mary Morrison)

MIAMI VALLEY (WKEF/WRGT) - Some call it magical.

"It spreads Christmas cheer, brings up the spirit," said Joy Hoover, looking at light displays in Kettering. "Oh, it's just so beautiful."

But, she's seeing the sights alone tonight.

"I said, "Hey boys, let's go see it!" she told FOX 45's Shavon Anderson. "Before I pulled up, I looked in the backseat, and they are both asleep!"

As the Christmas countdown begins, more families will have holiday cheer hanging from their houses. Firefighters are issuing a warning about lights catching fire.

"I'm not going to say that they will, but certainly they can," said Scott Henry, a public educator with the Washington Township Fire Department.

Check out the view below, from a house in Nashville. The family told reporters their display caught fire after being left on too long.

"If nobody's going to see them, there's not a big reason for them to be on," said Henry.

He suggests giving lights a break when heading to bed, or getting a timer.

"One of the biggest things we can tell you is read the instructions."

Henry held up to a box traditional bulbs, with directions saying not to connect more than three strands together.

"Drive around through the neighborhoods, you can certainly tell people put a little more than three sets together."

Too many strands can cause a circuit overload. LED's are a safer bet.

While you're out cruising area communities, just stop and think about your own safety, but also soak in the magic of the season.

"Find joy," Hoover said. "It's everywhere around you."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending