Daughter of man who founded local recovery center dies from overdose
WEST CARROLLTON, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) – A West Carrollton man who has dedicated his life to helping others fight addiction lost his daughter to an overdose April 13.
Lauren Confer’s father, Richard, was inspired to start a recovery center in West Carrollton due to her struggles with addiction.
Now, he’s saying no one is safe from the drug epidemic.
The 27-year-old Lauren was a mother of three, and was found dead on a motel bed in Dayton.
Detectives reportedly believe she was with someone inside, but was abandoned when she started to overdose.
Richard told FOX 45’s Nathan Edwards it was likely heroin that killed his daughter. She was a recovering addict and was during the dependency drug Vivitrol.
But he said it wasn’t enough, and that she needed therapy, but resisted help in the weeks leading up to her death.
“After seeing my daughter at the funeral home today,” Richard said. “I don’t want; I can’t let this happen; can’t let her death go in vain. I called and said, ‘Make sure we get people to the doctor as fast as they can’. I don’t want people suffering.”
Richard said the state needs to step in to help with treatment options, and he hopes police prosecute the people in the hotel with her as she overdosed.
He returned to work the day after the overdose, greeted with hugs and heavy hearts.
"We went through the process, we planned her funeral today," he said, "and it was probably the hardest most painstaking thing I could do."
Determined to take his daughter's story and share it as a warning for other families that recovery isn't easy.
"We have to change the way we think, we have to let them know there's a better way to live again," Richard said.
While police search for suspects in the death, Richard will continue to search for answers in his daughter's death. Her funeral is set for next week.